Thursday, January 5, 2012

Sunrise with Karen, bused to Managua--fly to Houston then Indy

I woke Karen up at 5:15AM to go climb a close hill and watch the sun rise. It was a bit dark but extremely calm. I love mornings because its a breath of fresh air---crisp, calm, beautiful new day! I didn't have a clue on how to get up the landing which was just below a Jesus statue at the top, but we knew we had to go up. We figured it out just walking down streets and then up some very steep roads. The view at the top though was well worth it! The view covered many aspects of San Juan del Sur--- I could see out over the town, over the ocean front, over the water! The sun rose very quickly, poking through the clouds. I think this was the perfect way to end this trip.
Karen is not much of a morning person, but even without a cup of coffee (which she said she would definitely need before walking anywhere), she was very chipper and I think really enjoyed the serene sunrise too. We couldn't make it up to the Jesus statue because the path was fenced off (had to pay to go to the top) and it was not open until 8AM. so we walked all the way back down. Karen went back to bed for about 25 minutes and I went and relaxed on the hammock in front of the hotel. I took some last pictures of the town and had my last breakfast--same as yesterday, egg whites, toast, rice and beans, pineapple, watermelon, bananas, and OJ.
After breakfast, it was time to pack up my bags and carry them to the bus. We left San Juan del Sur about 8:30AM. Carlos left really early that morning so we said our good-byes last night. The drive was about 1.5 hours to Managua and most of us just slept on the bus---I got the entire back seat of this nice coach bus---this was probably the nicest bus we had the whole trip and it was our last and one of the shortest rides! I feel asleep for the whole ride because I woke up as we pulled up the airport, perfect timing.
We all check our bags in---mine was 48.5 lbs phew!!! Then we went on to the gate. I bumped into the guys we saw at the bar a few nights ago at the subway in the airport so I talked with them for a little bit. Then Karen wanted a coffee so we sat in a little coffee shop, walked around the small airport for a little bit, and then it was time to start boarding the plane. Right before boarding, our check-in luggage had to be searched again. Just inside the jet bridge was a long table and 6-7 employees looking through our carry-ons. They unzipped every compartment of my bags and even made me chug the water left in my water bottle. But then I got to enter the plane.
The first flight Managua to Houston---very smooth ride---about 3 hours. We got served a chicken sandwich, with some weird cheese on it (I did not care for the cheese), potato salad (didn't eat it), and a dark chocolate fun-size bar. The sandwich was not too bad, not as good as the one coming, but we were all pretty hungry by then anyway. Once we touched down in Houston we had to fill out declaration papers. The line was enormous. Stood for about 45 minutes-an hour to get through and then past right along. Stated everything as a no and was never questioned for once through we went to the next gate where we had about 35 minutes before boarding. I was so happy to get my feet back on U.S. soil to be honest. The first thing I did was take my cell phone out and call my parents! They were shocked to hear my voice but it felt so good to finally hear their voice and be able to talk on the phone!
The next flight to Indianapolis was just under 2 hours, getting to Indy around 11PM. I was seated far away from everyone else but no one sat next to me so I had three seats to myself which was nice. This flight was very smooth as well and after arriving it was time to find luggage and get to Muncie. I think I was a walking zombie by the time I got to the baggage carousel. I was so tired and so beat----I got my bag and then went with Lorien. Her aunt was picking her up to take her to her car which she left at her aunts house for the trip. It took about 30 minutes to get to her house, then another 45 minutes to Anderson where Ronda and Todd picked me up in  Ruby Tuesdays parking lot. I can't believe they came from their nice warm house to come and pick me up (although by then I was so tired and dead feeling I am sure I didn't have a very good conversation). They brought me all the way back to Muncie and then went back to Gas City where they live by 2AM. They don't know how much I appreciate what the two of them did! Once I got back to Muncie, I brought all my bags in and crashed on my bed. My bed felt so comfortable---so cushiony, soft, cozy and all I wanted to do was sleep!! I set everything down and I was out within minutes! What a fantastic journey to share with everyone at home now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment