Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Explored San Juan del Sur

Woke up this morning at 6:45AM and went for a run. It was very nice, cool, but sunny, and only a few people out. I passed Carlos running in the opposite direction. I ran the length of the beach and did some lunges and squat jumps off a few rocks at the end and then ran back. I acknowledge I am a bit odd sometimes with working out, but I indeed brought a resistance band with me and used it finally this morning for some resistance training. Boy was I sore after that!
After finishing,I had breakfast -There were only three options to choose from: eggs, eggs, rice, and beans, or one pancake----The kitchen ladies were so nice to me and made me egg white scrambled eggs which I loved! I also had watermelon, pineapple, bananas, papaya, rice and beans, OJ.
After breakfast I went to interview a local hotel manager then came back and laid out on the beach. It was severely windy today and sand was everywhere. I had sand on every inch of my body--in my ears, hair, mouth, a layer of sand just coated my body. The sand is a darker sand and would even make my feet appear really dirty. The color also stained the bottom of my feet buts that's the price I had to pay to be at a beach.
Soon it was time for lunch----still at El Timon, I had ceviche for an appetizer (ceviche is well known seafood dish made here with fish and shrimp, but usually its just raw fish put in lime juice which chemically cooks the fish--the dish is served cold and it was delicious!) I also had grilled chicken, rice, salad, potato wedges, and for dessert I had vanilla ice cream with fruit (same as last night). I enjoyed this meal a lot, however, every meal from this restaurant though has been great!
I has to soak as much sun as possible and fight the sand storm so I went back to lay out for a bit and had another interview. After the interview, I explored more shops and town with Karen, finding a few more souvenirs. Then it was time to shower, Karen and I decided to paint our nails, and head to last dinner of the trip. For an appetizer we had 2 fish meatballs with plantain chips which were very tasty. I also had grilled chicken again, this time with shrimp, rice, potato wedges, fruit punch to drink, and a salad. For dessert, I had tres leche---soft milky cake made with three different kinds of milk. The whole meal was delicious! During the meal we all reflected on the trip.
The waiters all wore sailor style shirts that were white with blue collars. They were very good waiters--very attentive, quick, all in their mid to late-20s.
After dinner, I went back to the room and then a group of us (Brian, Carlos, Lorien, Karen, and Alex) headed to the Iguana for the night. Walking to the second floor, it was pretty dead at 10:30PM. We got a table and just talked and laughed, enjoying the ocean view. Brian, Alex, and Carlos left not long after getting there and Lorien, Karen, and I decided to go sit on the other side of the bar. Three guys approached the table (again all MBA Grads which blew my mind) and just started making conversation. They were all at Berkeley and were a very nice, funny group. I talked to one about sustainability, another about travelling, and the third about dancing--all very different topics, but rather enjoyable. We talked for an hour or so and then headed back to our hotel. It was about 12:30AM when I climbed into bed. I was kind of disappointed there wasn't a whole lot of dancing tonight, but I still enjoyed the last evening at San Juan del Sur.

No comments:

Post a Comment