Saturday, December 31, 2011

Exploring Granada, Boat ride Watch bartering, New Years Celebration

I had a very cold wake-up this morning. The A/C was on way too low and there was only one sheet on the bed. I covered my head entirely to keep warm but had to shut off the A/C all together. I got up shortly after and went down to breakfast. I got some pancakes (which I added peanut butter to) and fruit. I went off with Carlos this morning to hand some surveys (none of which were actually answered—very frustrating after the managers/staff say they will do a questionnaire and then don’t and on top of that they look at me really funny and don’t even know where the questionnaire went). The city was already wide awake and the sun was already very hot! We dropped the surveys off and then went back to the hotel to get everyone else.
Today we were taking a city tour with Martin, our guide. We saw many churches, an art museum, climbed a bell tower of a church, had lunch (at the same restaurant as dinner). I had a chicken kebob, cooked plantains, half a baked potato, fruit punch (whenever restaurants say fruit punch, they really mean a natural blended fruit drink which is delicious).
Differences between Leon and Granada:
Leon- about 300,000 people, not as modern as Granada—lots of horses and carts, town all in block structure, very small, simple homes. Traditional culture is alive in this city.
Granada-150,000 people, small but modern city, half the town drove cars and the other half horses and carts—has thoroughly mixed the modern Nicaragua with the old-traditional Nicaragua. All homes and businesses had open gardens in the middle of their buildings.
After lunch, we went on a boat (12 passenger boat) to see a few of the 365 islands in Lake Nicaragua. Along the trip we saw 2 white faced monkeys and lots of birds. We were informed that a man brought the monkeys were brought to this island and left on it as a touristy attraction. Unfortunately, there is nothing left on this island for the monkeys to eat and have been eating what tourists throw at them which is very unhealthy. It was a pleasant boat ride; rather calm-not a lot of waves and lots of sun to soak up.
After the boat ride, it was back to the hotel. I interviewed the Manager and then headed back out to the street markets. At one of the markets, I was looking at some jewelry and trying to get a good deal. While trying to barter with this one seller, he said he would give me a better deal if I would trade the watch I was wearing for these two turquoise heart necklaces. I felt my watch was worth way more than any of the jewelry, but Karen and Lorien helped me bargain with the man. He wanted 100 cordobas and my watch for the two necklaces, which I thought was too much so the other two girls and I got him down to the watch and 50 cordobas ($2.25). It was a funny bargaining process---he was speaking English to us, however, we continued trying so hard to embrace the culture and use our poor Spanish. The girls told him that the gifts were for my friends and he replied that the watch was for his father. He told us that this is his job and only way he makes money and Karen said “estudiantes…….no dinero).” It took some bargaining back and forth to get him down and at the end Lorien made the final bid and acceptance (so basically one of the other students sold me watch). What a memorable experience, but now I feel lost without knowing the time.
After the long bargaining event, the three of us went back to shower and get ready for dinner. Dinner was again at the same restaurant. I had fettuccine with huge shrimp and tomato sauce. It was very good!! After dinner we went out to the main city street, just around the corner from the restaurant where everyone was starting to congregate for the New Years celebration. There were many bands playing outside, lots of music and dancing. Carlos even taught me some Salsa steps and danced with me a few times in the street. I had so much fun learning a few new steps and following his lead. We continued to walk down the road which was filled with people drinking, setting off fireworks. I think I saw every age of children setting off fireworks, there were all kinds of kids with bottle rockets, huge crackling ones, and one kid even started swinging a firework around his head while it was shooting out things. Everyone started quickly moving away from him and it seemed very dangerous what he was doing. An older gentleman took him aside and got him to stop. I felt like I was in the middle of a war zone—the fireworks were being shot from everywhere.
The group decided to walk the street for a little bit and then sit down at a bar and get some drinks. We enjoyed a few processions that came down the street including the traditional tall woman and midget man. This traditional dance represents Spain (the young midget man) and Nicaragua (tall beautiful woman).Young kids play the drums and move this 6 foot tall doll and midget doll (a kid is underneath the doll or under this huge headed man and dance in the street to the drumming). They dance around for awhile and then stop and go into the crowd asking for money.
Pretty soon the countdown to the new year was approaching and so the group went to find the band, dance a little more, and countdown while fireworks are bring shot from every direction. Some of the group decided to go back to the hotel and Lorien, Karen, and I decided to take a walk to the end of the main street one more time and then to the hotel. The street was just covered in firework scraps and the streets all filled with trash. We were all fast asleep after arriving back at the hotel.
One thing I realized while walking around the town is that this town has many dogs and most of which are city strays. Dogs are not seen pets like in the U.S. but are starving animals, much famished, all searching for food. The dogs were laying all over the streets/roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment